One of the goals that the DJK Homes project team had on this project was to minimize material waste and be as efficienct as possible with the construction materials.
DJK used many advanced building techniques in the eco-smart home in order to reduce environmental impact and increase efficiencies.
Framing Spacing 19.2" On Center
- DJK decided to space all framing members at 19.2" on center instead of the typical 16" on center. This resulted in less lumber being used and more room in wall cavities for insulation.
Bamboo Strand Hardwood Flooring
- Distressed bamboo strand flooring was used in this home. Bamboo strand is a much harder product than oak and is green due to the fact that bamboo grows rapidly and is able to be replensihed at a much faster rate than traditional hardwoods. The bamboo flooring came to the site pre-finished which helped to achieve low-voc.
Certainteed Recycled Content Drywall
- Recycled materials were one of the focuses of the eco-smart project. This home used a combination of two types of drywall. The first was an AirRenew drywall from Certainteed. This drywall was used through out the home. In the garage a special fully recycled drywall from Certainteed was used.
Recycled Content Cellulose Insulation
- Cellulose insulation beats fiberglass insulation in all areas. Cellulose insulation is more energy efficient, healthier, and is recycled. The cellulose insulation used in this home contains a minimum of 75% recycled content. Recyled content consists mainly of recycled paper.
- All of the aggregate that was used in filling the garage as well as laying a base for the driveway was recycled stone from other road projects.
Reclaimed Barn Wood Beams
- DJK homes wanted to go after a rustic northwest style home inside and out. On the interior of the home large beams were used as decorative features. These beams were reclaimed from a Plainfield barn dating back to the late 1800's.
70% of Construction Waster Diverted From Landfill
- Not only did DJK use recycled materials in the construction of the eco-smart home, we also recycled construction waste through a program with D&P recycling company. Over 70% of the construction waste is diverted from the landfill.